Saturday, July 23, 2011

RIP Amy Winehouse - Wake Up Alone

Anyone who knows me, knows that I will play a song or an album into the ground if I really like it. Back to Black was no exception for some reason in the summer of 2009. You would've thought the album had just dropped the way it was in rotation in my car and in my house. Amy Winehouse's voice embodied so many emotions. She was raw in her music, she gave you who she was with no sugar. I always felt like I was listening to some forgotten Stax artist from the Stax European tour in 1967 when I listened to her.

Back to Black makes me remember when and why I fell in love that summer so picking a favorite from this album is not easy. Wake Up Alone just feels right for the mood right now though. The great thing about musicians is that even though they are gone from us in body, they never really leave. No matter what their lives contained, the love and legacy in their music lives forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment